The property (Tax Map Code 3-4-13:40) at what is now 2151 W. Vineyard St. was acquired by the Gee Kung Tong Society in 1897. The Maui News reported construction in progress of a 2-story joss house on December 10, 1904. The house was dedicated with a celebration on January 14 & 15, 1905 which included firecrackers, drums and gongs.
In late August of 1916, a report described a week-long celebration at the house which included a parade with a "richly embroidered Chinese dragon". The date fell in the 7th lunar month in the year of the dragon on the Chinese calendar which is the traditional time for ancestor worship known as "Ghost Week". Similar celebrations were reported in 1930 and 1933.
The use of the house as a dormitory was reported in a 1928 article which described the poor conditions and the self-care of the eight residents. Use of the house as a residence for
retired single men continued at least through 1948 and possibly until the early 60's.
After the last resident died, the house was neglected with a rear wall collapsing in 1988. The building completely collapsed on April 17, 1996.
The building was placed on the National and Hawaii Register of Historic Places in 1982. It was removed from the state register in 1998 after the building collapse.
- Demolition and replica drawings by Wailuku architect August Percha
- Drawings by Maui Community College architecture students of the late Harry Olsen
- Maui News, Dec. 10, 1904, page 3 col. 1
- Maui News, Jan. 21, 1905, page 3 col. 1
- Maui News, Aug. 25, 1916, page 6 col. 5
- Maui News, Mar. 31, 1928, page 1 col. 5
- Maui News, Sep. 14, 1933, page 5 col. 4
- Maui News, Dec. 1, 1948, (photo) page 2 col. 3
- Maui News, Apr. 9, 1996, page Al col. 1